The long, light nights of summer lend themselves wonderfully to experimenting in the kitchen. Try out my recipe for Ricotta Torte with strawberries, honey and mint and let me know what you think.
Ricotta Torte with strawberries, honey and mint
For the torte:
• 150g caster sugar
• 150g unsalted butter
• 500g ricotta
• zest of 2 lemons, juice of 1
• 1tsp vanilla bean paste
• 3 free range eggs
• 200g ground almonds
• 1 tsp baking powder
For the topping
• 300g strawberries, sliced
• 200ml clear honey
• juice of 1 lemon
• small bunch of mint, finely shopped
1. Preheat oven 160 C and line a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until combined
3. In a separate bowl beat the ricotta with the lemon zest and vanilla until smooth
4. Add the ricotta mixture to the butter and egg bowl and mix together
5. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix gently until all well combined
6. Spoon all the mixture into the cake tin and place in the centre of the oven for 60-70 mins, or until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
7. While it is cooking, put the honey, 100ml water and the lemon juice into a pan and heat through, gently bubble for a few minutes until thickened slightly, then add the strawberries and the mint, stir and take off the heat.
8. When the cake is done, cool on a wire rack. When it is completely cool, spoon the strawberries with their juices on top of the cake and let the juices run down and serve!